Sunday, June 19, 2011

There's laws in them thar standards!

I thought the frequently asked question this week that covered the standards for Minnesota was a great way to get some background info on why we have standards and benchmarks and how they affect the classroom. There was actually a time last year when I was speaking with a middle school math teacher who said all eighth graders must take algebra, whether they're ready for it or not.  I thought it was counter-productive, and it didn't seem to make much sense to introduce students to a subject they weren't prepared for.  The state legislature actually passed a law that says all students must have an algebra I credit by the end of eighth grade.  I understand the necessity to keep students moving forward and challenging them, but it seems those decisions should be made by educators and researchers, not lawmakers.  I would like to see a progressive increase in skill required, rather then such a simple answer to a complex question.

I think the requirements for math in high school are a good thing, but dictating what math courses students take (like algebra in eighth grade) treats students like commodities and tries to fit what may be square peg in a round hole.  I, unfortunately, opted not to take math my senior year, because it wasn't required, and I paid for it later when I had to take remedial math classes in college.  I had completely forgotten any advanced math concepts I had learned in high school.  I would like to see the legislature require math for all four years of high school rather then just three.  Even students who enjoy math, like myself, the temptation to skate through their senior year of high school might be too great to pass up.

Another reason the requirement for grade eight algebra seems odd is that the standards and benchmarks for grades 9-11 are combined.  If the legislatures goal by passing the law to require eighth grade algebra I was to push students and teachers to meet a certain goal at a certain time, it would make sense for them to legislate what appears in the other grades as well, especially subsequent grades.  It makes me wonder if the state just wants to make sure students complete algebra I, and if they need to they have their entire high school career to do so, or if the decision was simply based on the idea that most students take algebra in eighth grade anyways.  Regardless, I think there are inconsistencies that need to be remedied in the standards that have been handed to students and teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment